KESK, DİSK, TTB and TMMOB said that they were not invited to ”Struggling with Coronavirus Summit” and they have been conducting active mission for beginning of process but they were not taken serious.
In the declaration of unions, it was stated that social destruction which Covid-19 may cause is getting deeper with discriminatory and polirizing approach, and this threatens public health beyond repair. According to report of MA, four institutions named their suggestions to the government about Covid-19 management.
MEASURES DO NOT GIVE CONFIDENCE
In the statement which drew attention to the fact that measures pronounced by AKP chair & President Erdoğan do not form a basis for confidence, and stated that ”on the contrary measures which give confidence to only capital and ignore the employee, unemployed, artisan, victims of crisis and the poor put an end to present confidence to the government. Obviously, experiences show that actually this crisis is a result of neo-liberalism which obstructs people to take qualified, equal, accessible and free healthcare service by commercializing healthcare field.” And they added that “the only solution to take damage in the minimum level is to raise social solidarity.”
SUGGESTIONS IN THE DECLARATION RELATED TO COVID-19
- In this process, it has been seen once again that we should give more value to science, education and health. We thank to healthcare professionals who work heartily with limited means in these days and we demand every means to be mobilized to provide them with safer working environment and to raise their moral.
- By taking serious experiences in countries which constitute bad examples, course of action should be prepared according to worst-case scenario and in time of crisis whole means of city (place, means, equipment) should/could be used.
- In the possible works and workplaces teleworking should be implemented. In the places where necessary goods were not produced and can not be provided with workplace sanity, workers should be given paid-leave.
- In the workplaces where necessary goods and services were produced or necessary measures can be taken, one of the working parents, people who are among the risk group and workers who are above 60 years of age should be given paid leave. Measures should be enhanced to maximum level for health condition of people who are available to work .
- Minimum pension should be raised to level of minimum wage in the period of struggling with coronawirus, people who are among the risk group should be protected with additional 1000 TL support.
- In the public and private sector, dismissals should be prohibited.
- People who make profits through overcharging should not be overlooked. Supervisions should be enhanced. Sanctions should be imposed on people who profiteer.
- Public reseources should be resorted for access of low-income groups to staple foods and hygiene materials . Protective goods and materials against virus (mask, cologne, liquid soap etc.) should be disturbed to people with priority to low-income groups for free.
- Measures should be taken at the maximum level in refugee repatriation centers where is pretty crowded, and for the refugees who are not in these centers, hygiene and basic food supplies should be provided by public resources, similar to lower income groups.
- Against potential increase in the number of the unemployed people in parallel with adverse effects in economy, benefiting conditions from Unemployment Insurance Fund should be made easier. The working requirement of 600 days in the last three years which is needed in order to benefit from unemployment insurance funds should be reduced to 90 days in the period of struggling with the outbreak. During the outbreak, unemployed citizens whose payments will be cut, should continue to receive this unemployment pay.
- During the outbreak; bank loans for consumers, housing and vehicle purchases, and credit card loans as well as electricity, water, natural gas and communication bills should be deferred.
- In this process, citizens should have free access to health services.
- The deficiencies in the health institutions should be corrected and every case suspected of Covid-19 should be tested.
- During the outbreak, private health institutions should be put under the public control.
- Crisis desks should be established in the local territories under the leadership of municipalities and chairpersons including democratic civil society organizations and proffesional associations and union representatives.
- According to the statements of the Ministry of Justice, as of January 2020, there are 294.000 people in prisons including about 11.000 women. While there are 3.100 arrested children in prison, 780 children live in prisons with their mothers. It is unacceptable to exclude political prisoners from the release. We know that many dissident journalists, academics, deputies, mayors, lawyers, students, union members have been arrested under the ‘anti-terrorism bill’ in recent years. Therefore in the prisons, primarily prisoners should be provided with rapid discharge, based on right to live and freedom of expression, political prisoners, journalists, elders, prisoners with chronic diseases, and children should be discharged and execution of sentences should be postponed.
- Applause is not enough for healthcare labourers, protection measures should be increased and additional compensation should be given.
Translated by Abdurrahman Karahan